Monday, October 10, 2016

My Most Expensive Mishap Yet

Today, I find myself in Zurich, easily one of THE most expensive cities on this Earth. If I didn't have a friend to stay with, I probably would have skipped this pricey city altogether. But since it worked out, I was happy to be able to visit the home of the world's best chocolate.

My first day in Zurich started out auspiciously enough: I found a 5-cent piece on the ground while popping in and out of the various chocolate shops in the beautiful Old Town. I decided that it was a good omen.

Later, I headed into a Swiss grocery store to grab some dinner-making supplies.

This is where it all went wrong.

I paid for my 26 Francs' worth of food--which is not much, by the way--with a 100-Franc bill, with the intent of getting some smaller money. I slipped my 74 Francs in change into my front pocket (because putting anything of value in your back pocket is just asking to be pickpocketed).

When I checked my pocket not two minutes later, the bills were missing. That's 70 Francs, approximately $75 USD that just vanished into thin air.

First reaction: dig through every pocket and every bag on my person. Nothing.

Second step: retrace my steps. No dice.

Third strategy: check with the sales staff. Nada.

Fourth instinct: burst into tears and call mom.

So the summary of today's events is: I bought some of the finest chocolate in one of the most expensive cities in the world. I wandered around said city. I managed to lose 70 Francs in this beautiful, pricey city, in which I have already spent a decent chunk of change.

I've pretty much ruled out pickpocketing, and I don't think the Borrowers are behind this one, either. If you've got any ideas what happened to my cash, feel free to comment below. Otherwise, if you hear a news story about a penniless American college graduate wandering the streets of Zurich, you know who it is.

Coming Soon to a Blog Near You: Munich recap!

1 comment:

Penny for your thoughts?