Friday, January 20, 2017

Goals for Returning to the "Real World"

It is so good to be home. 

My four and a half months of travel have absolutely changed me--I'm sure you'll see that when I get home--and I'd like to think that those changes have been for the better. I'm hoping to hold on to these changes now that I'm home, but it won't be easy, since my life will be very different at home from what it was abroad (which was kind of the point of traveling in the first place). So before I fall back into old habits and/or get sucked into the world of job applications, car hunting, and tax-paying--fun as all of that is--I want to take the time to lay out some goals for my transition back to being home. It's kind of my own set of New Years' resolutions (since I didn't actually make any of those). 

I'm hoping that by posting these here on my blog, I'll add an element of accountability that will help me stick to these resolutions. Might want to get yourself a cup of coffee...this is going to be a bit of a long one. 

CONTINUING TRAVEL HABITS
I don't want to stop adventuring just because I'm home...there are so many things to do at home, too!

--go more places/do more things solo; don't wait for other people to join me to do things that I want to do!
--go out to eat/get coffee 1-2 times a week (trying someplace new at least every other week)
--go someplace at least twice a month (adventures!), and make at least one of those places new (new city, new park, new museum, anything!)
--blog once a week (ish; I'm not going to blog if I have nothing to blog about, but I do want to keep writing about my adventures when I have them!)
--explore alternative modes of transport: use public transportation and/or bike to get around when feasible, and walk places!

STARTING FRESH
Living out of a 40-liter backpack has taught me that I really don't need that much, so I'll be aiming to simplify by jettisoning at least half of my personal belongings when I get home. It's just clutter in the end.

--clean out closet (sell/donate clothes that I don't wear anymore)
--invest in a few new good-quality items that I'll actually wear and will last me a while
--clean out room (sell/donate books, bedding, etc. that I don't need)

SELF-CARE HABITS
There were some aspects of self-care that I got much better at over the course of this trip; for example, I was taking time for myself, putting what I wanted to do above all else, making my own desires and dreams valid by making them a reality, and just letting myself be less responsible for once. I was also much more forgiving of myself when I made mistakes. I realize that I will have to take up some responsibilities again when I get home, but I want to continue to take time for me. To that end, here are my goals for psychological self-care:

--journal once a week (at least)
--limit Netflix/TV time to 3-one hour sessions during the week, one 2-hour session on weekends (movies)
--take half an hour a day to just do nothing (listening to one entire album and doing only that counts, but NO MULTI-TASKING)
--meditate for ten minutes every morning before starting the day
--unplug at least one hour before bed (read or meditate instead!)
--set boundaries for work hours (not answering work emails or grading papers outside of my designated times, for example)

The physical aspects of self-care sort of fell by the wayside on this trip. If you've been looking at the food pictures I've been posting, you know that I have been making my decisions based less on what's good for my body and more on what tastes good. Combine that with no regular exercise regimen (aside from walking all over the continent), and it's safe to say I'm not in peak physical condition. But that's going to change when I get home.
--yoga practice at least once a week (maybe sign up for classes)
--complete the Whole 30 to cleanse and reset my eating habits (I'm planning to start February 2nd, so keep your eyes peeled for some posts about that)
--switch back to vegetarianism (stay tuned for a full post about that)
--don't eat within an hour of going to bed
--run at least three times a week
--strength training at least twice a week

RELATIONSHIPS
It's true what they say: absence makes the heart grow fonder. Being away from my family and friends for so long really made me appreciate them (you) all the more.


--make a point of actively spending more quality time with family and friends (this means not just hanging out at home watching movies, but actually DOING stuff! like traveling and hiking)
--be more communicative with family and friends 

PROJECTS
Europeans have some enviable skills; at least, I'm envious. Everyone speaks at least two languages, and everyone can drive a manual-transmission car; it's just the norm here. And I am extremely jealous of these skills, so add those to my list of goals. They won't be achieved overnight, but I'm hoping to make some serious progress on them by the end of 2017. 

--learn to drive stick-shift (for realsies this time; I've had a few false starts with this one)
--learn German (to better communicate with my German relatives)
--learn Spanish (to better communicate with my students and their families)

FINANCES
I'll be the first to say that I wasn't exactly fiscally responsible on this trip. I just didn't budget. When saving up for this grand adventure, I was very careful with my money, so I kind of cut loose and didn't stress about it once the vacation actually began. I let my heart (or in some cases, my stomach) determine when and where I spent money, rather than letting my brain take charge. But now adulthood begins. *sigh*

--create a biweekly budget and actually stick to it
--set aside money from every paycheck for future adventures! (and actually budget these adventures based on what I have saved up)

So there they are. My goals for the foreseeable future. 

Bam.

7 comments:

  1. I like this and you. Real proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess - it was fun to follow along on your trip on the blog and also Instagram. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I liked reading this post about the impact it had on you and the habits you want to adopt here at home based on your experiences. I totally agree with you about the language. I myself am unilingual and I am so jealous of multi-lingual peoples -communication is key! I also agree with you about the stick shift. I have always been able to drive one and had to move friend's cars out of their driveway a few times because they couldn't drive their husbands' stick shift (really - I swear, very lame). Talk to Sky about the stick shift because he bought himself an older car with a stick before he could even drive it and is learning how to rough it in a non-fancy vehicle. But - he has mastered the stick!

    One thing I'd love to see from you are travel tips! Things you learned, were surprised by, wish you'd known, could have done without, found indispensable etc... and I'd love to hear about it from the perspective of travel in general, travel as a young millennial, travel using hostels, airbnb and other new-ish modes of things, travel for anyone, travel relating specifically to Europe and things you learned that would make sense anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love reading your comments, Mrs. J. :) I actually have been toying with the idea of doing a travel-tips post; now I definitely will, now that I know someone would be interested to read it!

      As for driving stick shift, my dad has a VW Jetta with stick shift that I've attempted to drive a few times. I'm not too bad at it, except when I have to stop on an uphill...I always get stuck and he has to take over! Any tips for that?

      Delete
    2. Hey Mrs. J., I just posted my travel tips!

      https://averageadventuress.blogspot.com/2017/02/travel-tips-from-aspiring-expert.html

      Let me know if there's anything that I left out that you want to know about!

      Delete
  3. The hills come with experience - if you can get around town with a stick - you're already ahead of the game!

    Sky will be traveling to Costa Rica this month - I'm wondering if any of your travel tips might be helpful to him as well! (I will be in Costa Rica next week...and will overlap Sky's time there but I won't see him - it was all completely coincidental) funny huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how that happens, travel overlapping with people you know...happened to me quite a few times during my trip. I hope you both have fun in Costa Rica...it's on my travel bucket list!

      I'm hoping to get my travel tips posted today or tomorrow, so keep an eye out for those!

      Delete

Penny for your thoughts?