Wednesday, October 5, 2016

My 1-Month Travel-versary!

One month ago today, I got on a plane and kicked off this grand adventure...I still haven't managed to wrap my brain around that. I can't really believe that I'm actually doing this, even 4 weeks and 4 countries in.

And I can't believe that there are *only* 3-and-a-half months to go!

Before my trip, I had somehow gotten it into my head that I was going to constantly be meeting amazing people who were traveling for 6 months to a year, and that I would feel like an underachiever, only here for 4 and a half months.

But of all the other travelers that I've met so far on this trip, I'm the one who's traveling the longest. Many of the people that I met have already returned home. Most were traveling for an average of 3 weeks, a few for a month. There have been a couple of study-abroaders who are in Europe for 3 months. But my 4-and-a-half-month stint abroad is a novelty, even among other hostel-goers. I have yet to meet someone traveling longer than, or even as long as I am.

I was worried about feeling inadequate, and yet, here I am, feeling like an overachiever once again. (I know, shocker: Jess is an overachiever.)

It's really weird to hear people tell me things like, "Wow, I wish I could do what you're doing," or, "I've always read about people doing that and wished I had the guts to do it, too." I was in the same boat: reading other people's travel blogs, hearing about other people's adventures and wishing I could have that. Wishing that I could claim the exclusive title of "traveler." But now that other people have begun to refer to me as such, I feel like an imposter. I don't really feel very special at all.

I thought that these months of travel around various European countries were going to be entirely outside of my comfort zone, which made me nervous, but also excited. I was eager to see myself grow and change as a result of trying new things. For the first week or so, I was definitely outside of my comfort zone. But now, I guess the novelty has worn off. My comfort zone seems to have expanded, more quickly and easily than I had anticipated. I'm no longer sure that I'm going to come back a new woman; maybe I'll just come back the same old Jess, plus a suitcase full of souvenirs.

Guess that's for the folks at home to decide when I get there.

Things I've Learned in My First Month of Travel:
--When you don't know the language, the "point, nod, and smile" technique works 95% of the time.
--"Point, nod, and smile" is not effective when people actually require an answer (or money) from you.
--Bike lane does not equal sidewalk. You will be run over if you are walking there.
--Americans (generally speaking) are obnoxious, arrogant, and entitled. I just want to smack some of them for being so ignorant about the cultures and customs in the places that they are visiting. I have witnessed my fellow countrymen committing many a cultural faux pas, and I am glad to be mistaken for a local so I can avoid being affiliated with these people.
--Never make your bed. (Something I learned in Prague.)
--Knowing a few benchmark numbers makes mentally estimating currency conversions much easier. (For example, 2000 Czech Krona is about 75 Euros.)
--I will not have enough money to keep traveling if I do not stop eating out.
--You don't need to take a picture/video of everything, even if everyone else is. Just be present and actually experience it. If you wanted to look at the world through a screen, you should have just stayed home.
--Don't buy big souvenirs when you're backpacking. 'nuff said.

Things I Haven't Learned in My First Month of Travel:
--German. I'm realizing that 3 years of high-school German does not a fluent speaker make, especially when there have been 5 years of not studying German since then. And I'm not just going to "pick it up" by hearing it all around me. I'm actually going to actively try to learn it now.
--How to type an "@" symbol on a German/Austrian/Czech keyboard. I have to Google "at symbol" and copy and paste it every time I need to type it.
--Don't buy big souvenirs when you're backpacking. Yes, I meant to write that here too.

Anywho, that's what's on my mind on my 1-month travel-versary.

Salzburg post is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?