Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Getting Political

I have sort of held off on talking about any political issues--in real life and here on my blog--because I haven't felt well-informed enough about the issues to intelligently discuss them. But recently I've come to recognize that thought for the excuse that it is; I should be actively seeking to stay informed about the issues at hand, rather than waiting for the information to come to me. (By the time it does get to me, not only is it often obsolete, it's also usually been distorted beyond credibility anyway.)

I still don't feel that I've done enough research into the current issues to write an intelligent post about them (yet), but I did want to share this sort of epiphany that I had in the hopes that it will encourage you, my dear readers, to also be politically proactive.
  1. Actively seek out information from multiple credible sources. 
  2. Share this information with others...not just on social media. Have an intelligent, respectful discussion about the issues. Don't be afraid to have your views challenged...it's okay to disagree, and it's okay to change your opinion based on new information or a new way of thinking. That's growth!
  3. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Call your Congresspeople at (202-224-3121). Tell them what you want them to do...after all, they represent you! You can also use GovTrack.us to find out who your senators and representatives are. 
  4. Vote, vote, vote! Don't use a lack of information as an excuse; a great way to be informed about the candidates on the ballot is to check out Vote411.org
Whatever your political beliefs are, government only works if we make it work for us.
Image result for voting memes
Wouldn't be a Jess blog post without a meme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?